Notes and Quotes from "The Right to Write"

What if there were no such thing as a writer? What if everyone simply wrote? What if there were no "being a real writer" to aspire to? What if writing were simply about the act of writing?
If we didn't have to worry about being published and being judged, haw many more of us might write a novel just for the joy of making one? Why should we think of writing a novel as something we shouldn't try...
What if we allowed ourselves to be amateurs (from the Latin verb amare, "to love"). If we could just get over the auditioning to be respected at this aspect, a great many people might love writing. Although our mythology wisdom seldom tells us this, it's fun.
                                                                                  The Right to Write, by Julia Cameron

I have not had time to get back to this, but I have read further in this book and it just keeps getting better! There are little exercises at the end of each chapter, most of which only take a few minutes and I am going to try some of them this week.
The chapter from which the above quote comes says a lot about where we get the idea that being "a writer" is something you aren't, but that you can aspire to it, if you work hard enough. She makes the point, which should have been obvious to me before now, that if you can speak, you can write! The only difference is putting it down on paper. Duh! Most of the stigma we have attached to being a "writer" has come from our school experience. We are taught what "good " writing is, with the words and thoughts all lined up like soldiers in their correct place on the page and within the piece being written. How many times in school are we given an assignment that is to be structured beginning with topic sentence, within the introduction paragraph, followed by several paragraphs that make up the body of the paper and ending with the conclusion or summary paragraph?
All of this enforced structure ties up our thoughts and stifles our writing. Then there's always the threat of THE RED PEN! I have always dreaded getting back an assignment with red marks on it. Makes me tense up even thinking about it!
But, guess what? Now I'm an adult. I'm not in class and I can write however I want. Ha! I am a stickler for spelling and grammar, so now I have to deal with that censor in my head, but I am getting better at getting the thoughts down on the page or screen and then coming back later to correct.
Just reading this beginning chapters of this book has freed me up to write for the joy of writing. I will share with whomever would like to read, but otherwise, it is for me. And God knows I need more things that are for me!
I am usually reading more than one book at a time, and here are the ones I'm actively reading right now:
The Right to Write
Eat, Pray, Love
Women, Food , and God (2nd read through)

A few years ago, I read part of The Artist's Way (also by Julia Cameron!) and was intrigued with the tools she uses and teaches to get one on the road to writing. The one I have used most is Morning Pages, where I sit down first thing in the morning and write 3 pages without stopping, just whatever is in my head. It really helps to clear the mind and heart and get you going on your day, as well as giving the writing practice.
In If You Want to Write, Brenda Euland makes a similar point by saying that the best way to learn to write is to write. if you think about it, that's the best way to learn anything - do it! From riding a bike to playing the piano, once someone gives you the basics, it's up to you to practice. The more you practice, the better you get!
I'm closing out for now to get ready for church. Hopefully, I will be able to get back to this today. Gotta get in my practice!

1 comments:

Jae said...

Great blog!! Glad to have met you on WFG list.
Jae

Post a Comment